Wireless Networking for Automated Guided Vehicles in Warehouses
Location / Country :
In the past, warehouses needed to hire many workers to organize the thousands of goods in stock. As a leading business in warehouse automation, our client used automated guided vehicles (AGV) to categorize each product. Each product has an RFID tag attached to it that contains specific data used for categorization. The use of AGVs and RFID tags allows our client to save valuable time and resources.
The best communication network for AGVs is wireless, which allows the warehouse to bypass wiring and space constraints. Since wireless systems are also relatively easy to install and maintain, the client already had an 802.11a/b/g wireless environment installed. To ensure proper operation for the AGVs, the client required stable and reliable communication between Access Points and AGVs Controls, as well as seamless wireless communication with 802.11a/b/g and roaming capability.
The Moxa NPort® W2150 Plus is an ideal choice for connecting serial devices. Since Moxa products provide 802.11a/b/g wireless connectivity, they are compatible with our client's system specifications. Through the WLAN environment, the NPort® W2150 Plus offers an excellent solution for devices that frequently move from place to place such as an RGV.
Moxa NPort® W2150 Plus provides a serial-to-wireless solution for AGVs with the following features for the warehouse automation system.
1. Support for 802.11 a/b/g: the use of different wireless bands is necessary for this application
2. Seamless data roaming: the "Connect Rule" function allows wireless roaming with off-line port buffering to prevent data loss between 802.11a and 802.11b/g environments during operation
1. 802.11a/b/g wireless connectivity for serial devices
2. Seamless roaming with user-defined signal strength threshold
3. Off-line port buffering and serial data log
4. Secure data access with WEP, WPA, WPA2 and secure remote management with SSH/SSL configurations
NPort® W2150 Plus
• Link any serial device to an IEEE 802.11a/b/g network
• 921.6 Kbps baudrate for RS-232/422/485 transmissions
• Web-based configuration using built-in Ethernet or WLAN
• Enhanced remote configuration with HTTPS, SSH
• Secure data access with WEP, WPA, WPA2
• Built-in WLAN site survey tool
• Wireless roaming with user-defined signal strength threshold
• Off-line port buffering and serial data log
• Dual power inputs (1 power jack, 1 terminal block)