Using Existing Copper Wiring for Traffic Signals and CCTV Systems at Intersections in the U.S.
When the department of transportation for one of the 50 United States decided to upgrade the traffic signal system at several intersections, one of their key requirements was setting up an IP-based networking system so they could manage and monitor the traffic signals over the Internet. In addition, they wanted to integrate an IP CCTV surveillance system over the same network. However, since it wasn’t practical to lay Ethernet cabling from intersection to intersection—because of cost constraints and since the distance between intersections was too long—they were faced with the problem of how to set up the IP network.
The first solution engineers often consider in a case such as this is fiber cabling. However, in this case fiber also wasn’t a viable option due to the difficulties associated with deploying new fiber cable either above or below ground. Consequently, they decided to re-use the existing 2-wire telephone-grade copper wires already installed and stretching from 1 to 2 km between intersections. The challenge was how to ensure that the network would be fast enough and reliable enough to handle network packets for both traffic signals and IP cameras.
More success stories of Moxa's industrial Ethernet extenders.
- Transmit traffic signals and video transmission over distances up to 2 km
- Use existing telephone-grade copper wiring for IP networking
- High bandwidth for transmitting high resolution video images
- Easy installation, diagnosis, and management
- Harsh environment and wide temperature operation
- Can support Ethernet over distances up to 3 km for VDSL2 and 8 km for G.SHDSL
- Can support data rates up to 100 Mbps*
- Use existing telephone-grade wiring for point-to-point Ethernet connections
- Auto CO/CPE negotiation for easy plug-and-play installation
- Full range of connection strength LED indicators for simple onsite troubleshooting
- MXview with visualized device interface for easy remote management
- -40 to 75°C wide operating temperature
- NEMA TS2 and EN 50121-4 compliance
- 5-year warranty
*Theoretical data rate when using VDSL2 technology and distance < 300 meters in between the connection. Actual data rate may vary due to environment conditions.
Learn More about the success stories of Moxa's industrial Ethernet extenders.