Alarm-to-Video Monitoring for Offshore Oil & Gas FPSO
Location / Country :
For hazardous industries such as FPSO (floating production, storage and offloading), video surveillance is critical for safety control and monitoring. Moxa worked with a control and instrumentation systems provider to implement the critical process control system of an offshore FPSO platform for the oil & gas industry. Using Moxa's video encoder, the system was able to migrate from analog CCTV to IP networks, and both process control systems and IP video systems could be seamlessly integrated to achieve alarm-to-video monitoring. With this improvement to alarm handling, event images could be easily searched in a minimum of time.
• Upgrade to an IP video surveillance system
• Integrate surveillance video with existing DCS platform
• Enable DCS system to configure and trigger video pop-up
• Withstand severe FPSO environment
Analog to IP Video Migration
The video feeds from 232 analog cameras used for onboard flame monitoring were encoded into MJPEG/MPEG streams using Moxa's VPort 354-T 4-channel video encoders, which support full frame rate performance at 120 FPS and 4CIF. The VPort 354-T has a rugged design and features an IP30 metal form factor, 24 VDC/VAC redundant power inputs, DIN-rail mounting and -30 to 70°C operating temperature range. With these and other industrial features, the VPort 354-T was a highly reliable and efficient solution well-suited for the harsh conditions on an FPSO vessel.
Video Recording for Surveillance System
Thanks to the VPort 354-T, the provider was able to use the bundled VPort SDK PLUS to deploy a video recording function for their video management system that could be triggered by events or be used for historical playback and search.
Video Viewer for DCS System
With Moxa's VPort SDK PLUS, the customer was also able to build another video viewer into their DSC workstations based on OPC communication. When the DCS receives an alarm notification, it sends an event trigger to the surveillance server, and the video surveillance system immediately retrieves video streams from the relevant VPort 354-T unit and initiates recording and playback functions. At the DCS control center, a built-in viewer allows engineers to review both event logs and corresponding video in a single glance. This alarm-to-video monitoring enhances alarm response and overall safety.
1) Migrated analog CCTV to digital IP-based video surveillance
2) Allowed video recording in existing surveillance management system through VPort SDK PLUS
3) Allowed pop-up video within existing DCS/HMI through VPort SDK PLUS
4) Ensured reliable operation in challenging FPSO environment with industrial-grade design and features
- 4-channel video encoding
- Dual MJPEG/MPEG4 codec supporting up to 120FPS at 4CIF (704 x 480) resolution per channel
- Industrial design supporting -40 to 75°C operating temperatures
- One fiber optic Ethernet port for Gigabit uplink
- Two Ethernet ports for cascade and port redundancy
- SD card slot for local storage capability
- Modbus/TCP support for easy communication with SCADA software
- Free VPort SDK PLUS for easy development of alarm-to-video integration functions