Reliable Gigabit Fiber Redundant Backbone Strengthens Large-scale Korean Subway Network
In order to meet increasing passenger demand, a large-scale Korean subway system decided to construct a new rapid transit line ranging nearly 20 km south of Seoul. This new line will integrate an advanced Communication-based Train Control (CBTC) signaling system which uses two-way digital radio communications between the train and control devices for higher system reliability and availability. Due to the high volume of data to be transmitted and the exacting reliability demands, Gigabit support and redundancy capability are two essential requirements of this system.
• Network connection with fast and expandable redundancy capability.
• Gigabit backbone for large-volume data transmission.
• Network devices with modularized design to enable operational flexibility and scalability.
• Advanced software functions for easy network planning and reliable network management.
Since on this subway line each of the stations are around two kilometers apart, the subway operator needed a long-range communications solution. Moxa’s EDS-728 and EDS-405A-SS-SC were selected to form a fiber optic backbone that delivers top network performance, security, and reliability over long distances. The EDS-728’s Gigabit ports make it an ideal switch for a Gigabit backbone system at the control level that delivers large amounts of data from hundreds of end devices.
The EDS-728 also forms a Gigabit Turbo Ring redundancy network to minimize damage from network failures. During a system failure, the network will automatically self-recover within 20 ms, preventing data loss or an interruption of operations. The EDS-405A managed switches are connected with Moxa’s exclusive Turbo Chain self healing technology, with head and tail switches connected directly to the ring backbone. This allows these additional switches to also have a low 20 ms recovery time without the addition of expensive and complicated ring coupling cables.
The modular design of the EDS-728 also provides great flexibility for future expansion. New switches can be added, removed or rearranged easily in response to field demands at any time, saving a great deal of time and effort. Both of the EDS-728 and EDS-405A come with an easy-to-use web UI, allowing for intuitive management to enable efficient network performance.
• Turbo Ring guarantees fast network recovery within 20 ms, reducing system downtime impact to a minimum.
• The EDS-728’s modular design provides up to 4 Gigabit ports and 24 fiber Ethernet ports to construct a highdensity fiber Gigabit backbone.
• EDS-405A-SS-SC single-mode fiber ports allows for long distance transmission up to 40 km.
• Turbo Chain self-healing technology provides flexible and cost-effective network redundancy, compared to ring coupling.
• The EDS-728 and EDS-405A-SS-SC’s software management functions enable optimal network operation, including SNMP, Modbus/TCP protocols, IGMP snooping, GMRP and more.
See More Real World Applications
Moxa’s solutions are deployed in major railway systems across Europe, the US, and Asia, and can be found in passenger information systems (PIS), automatic train control (ATC), automatic train operations (ATO), automatic train supervision (ATS), and CCTV systems. For more information, please click on the icon to download the railway success stories.