Serial devices are used around the world as integral components of industrial automation systems. This is due in part to the fact that RS-232/422/485 interfaces are easy to set up and economical to use. For example, the 2-wire RS-485 interface can be used to connect as many as 32 serial devices to a single half-duplex line. Since the transmission distance can be up to 1200 meters, RS-485 is suitable for many factory applications. If more devices or greater distances are required, RS-485 repeaters can be used to extend the 1200 meter limit or increase the number of devices connected to the system.
The following topics are covered in this white paper:
- Solution 1 — The Serial-to-Fiber Converter
- TCF-142 media converters can be configured for either Pair Connection Mode or Ring Connection Mode.
- Pair Connection Mode for TCF-142 Media Converters
- Ring Connection Mode for TCF-142 Media Converters
- Solution 2 — The Serial-to-100BaseFX Converter
- Pair Connection Mode for NPort IA Device Servers
- Important features of the NPort IA5150
- How to Choose the Right Solution?