Enabling 99.99% Tolling Accuracy for the World's No. 1 ETC Network
Location / Country :
Smart Ethernet Remote I/O with 8 DIs, 8 DOs, 4 DIOs
Commissioned by the Taiwan Area National Freeway Bureau (TANFB), FETC (Far Eastern Electronic Toll Collection Company) designed a nationwide electronic toll collection (ETC) system that allows freeway users to pay toll fees without stopping their vehicles at tollgates. Fees are paid electronically and are based on the accumulated mileage during a trip. Ultimately, TANFB wants to achieve better forecasts and traffic management by analyzing the collected data from the ETC system.
This modern ETC system saves drivers time and fuel, reduces CO2 emissions, and improves traffic flow. What’s more, the toll collection has achieved an accuracy rate of 99.99% since its launch in January 2014.
The aforementioned achievements did not go unnoticed, as the ETC system has won several international awards, including honors from IBTTA (International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association), the ITS World Congress, as well as an eASIA Award in 2015.
The ETC system’s scope included the development of an automated information system that collects distance-based toll charges and trip data. Moxa’s solutions were required to capture and transmit data within milliseconds of vehicles passing by, as well as to safeguard the roadside cabinets to ensure the integrity and accountability of vital data. Furthermore, to overcome the challenges presented across 325 gantries, Moxa’s products were installed to work in changeable weather conditions without any support from a fan or heater.
• A high-speed I/O scanning rate to capture pulse signals from laser sensors.
• Broad bandwidth to transfer high volumes of data and images.
• Weatherproof durability for 24/7 operations.
• Easy integration with the back-end IT system.
• Environmental monitoring of roadside units.
Moxa's products work durably on the gantries and inside roadside cabinets day and night, rain or shine. To withstand whatever conditions on the gantries, Moxa's products endure extreme temperature swings to ensure highly reliable data acquisition and connectivity.
• Moxa's ioLogik E2212 smart I/Os provide a fast I/O scanning rate under 4 milliseconds to capture pulse signals from passing vehicles.
• The rugged EDS-308 industrial switches transmit high volumes of data and HD vehicle images from each gantry to a roadside server.
• The ioLogik E2210 smart I/Os installed inside the unmanned cabinets support RS-485 and SNMP protocols, as well as Click&Go control logic for full-function environmental monitoring and sending alerts.
• -40 to 75°C wide operating temperature range for 24/7 nonstop operation.
• Fast I/O latency under 4 milliseconds for data accuracy and integrity.
• Gigabit data and image transmissions for information efficiency.
• IT-friendly SNMP communication for easy integration.
• Smart I/O devices for diverse environmental monitoring, including intrusion detection and sending alerts.